This special interest group was initiated by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) pharmacy students in May, 2009. In July 2009, the name of Green Lung was first introduced to USM campus and subsequently to other universities in December 2009. Green Lung was officially launched in USM on 23rd February 2010.
The name of Green Lung was euphemistically adopted to represent such youth group in hope of giving the public a less stressful yet fresh outlook of a tobacco control organization.
Vision and Missions:
To create and support for a tobacco-free environment through:
- Creating the awareness of the danger of secondhand smoke and the importance of having a tobacco-free environment
- Campaigning for the full implementation of smoke-free campuses for the betterment of QOL in campuses
- Disseminating evidence-based tobacco control related information to the peers and public
- Providing assistance to the existing smokers through peer support and
- Sharing the Green Lung concept with more youths in hope of expanding the youth capacity in tobacco control activities
|Officiated by Prof. Tan Sri Dato' Dzulkifli Abd Razak, VC of USM|
1) Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
2) Universiti Malaya (UM)
3) Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
4) Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM)
5) International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
We are looking forward to expanding our capacity to more campuses! Having a smoke-free environment is definitely our right. Wait no more, join us! Let's work together and make this happen bottom-up.
To the schools in Penang, if you are interested in asking our Green Lung team to go to your school for a Tobacco Control Workshop, please do kindly drop us an email too @ email@example.com
USM Green Lung firstname.lastname@example.org
UM Green Lung email@example.com